The Forever Project Offers Classes during Cedar Breaks Wildflower Festival
As temperatures soar in Zion, Zion Canyon Forever Project Field Programs moves to the cooler temperatures of Cedar Breaks to take full advantage of the annual Wildflower Festival. During July the Forever Project will offer four classes in Cedar Breaks running a gamut of subject matter.
- July12th starts things rolling with Cedar Mountain Wildflowers with Southern Utah University botanist, Dr. Matt Ogburn. Through a series of short hikes, we will cover most of the diversity and beauty of the wildflower array in the Monument. We’ll see Markagunt and Rydberg penstemon, columbine,
gentian, and possibly prairie smoke and elephant head. We’ll hike the Alpine Pond trial for a chance to see the beautiful Parry’s Primrose. If time permits we’ll go just outside the Monument onto Brian Head Peak and check out the alpine environment there. COST: $65 Limited to 10 participants.
- For artists who use brushes, pencils, and pens instead of cameras, July 13th brings Wildflower Journaling. Spend a glorious day with Sandy Bell amid the colorful wildflower blooms while you learn about the natural world through passionate observation and attentive contemplation. No previous writing or journaling experience necessary as tools, materials, and methods for journaling will be discussed. COST: $65 Limited to 8 participants.
- Join photographer Michael Plyler in Cedar Breaks National Monument on July 13th as well. Learn techniques to maximize your ability to photographically interpret the beauty all around you. We’ll discuss photographing the big vista or the intimate close-up and when to choose one over the other. A macro lens, though not a prerequisite, will be a welcome addition to your lens arsenal. COST: $85 Limited to 8 participants.
- The Forever Project wraps up our educational tour of Cedar Breaks on July 20th with an introductory course in Cedar Breaks geology with Ben Everitt. Despite the apparent simplicity of the exposed rock units, Cedar Breaks has experienced a complicated geologic past that Dr. Everitt will unravel for the participants. COST: $65 Limited to 10 participants.
- If you would like to escape the heat for a day and learn some interesting facts about the Cedar Breaks ecosystem at the same time, join Zion Forever Project in the high country during the beauty of the Wildflower Festival.
To register or obtain further information please call 435-772-3264 OR 800-635-3959 or go to www.zionpark.org