Twenty-four award winning artists providing in-park demonstrations, interactive wet-paint exhibits and special receptions with proceeds benefitting Zion’s education programs – connecting thousands of children to the Zion experience every year.
SPRINGDALE, UT – It has been remarked that it takes an acre of canvas to get one good painting. That every painting is about solving a problem. That Zion’s landscape should be considered a verb.
Come every November, twenty-four artists, through their work and voices, remind park guests of the transformational power that Zion retains within its aquifers of sandstone. In the immediacy of their art, they show all of us that the beauty of this landscape is right now, just as it was to Thomas Moran and Frederick Dellenbaugh more than one-hundred years ago.
“We invite you to come witness, enjoy and learn from our twenty-four acclaimed landscape artists, as they share their talents and insight within the sacred backdrop of Zion National Park,” said Superintendent, Jeff Bradybaugh.
Zion National Park Forever Project and Zion National Park have finalized the dates, event locations and artists for the 10th Plein Air Invitational. The week-long event starts on Monday November 5 and culminates on Saturday, November 10, 2018 with the “Art-In-The-Park” Paint Out celebration on the great lawn in front of the historic Zion Lodge.
Experiences and events include in-park demonstrations, instructive evening lectures and interactive wet-paint exhibits. Studio pieces from each artist, are featured in the Zion Human History Museum, and renderings from the Paint Out event and Silent Auction will be featured Saturday at the Zion Lodge. The Plein Air pieces painted during the week will also be on sale at the Museum over the weekend.
“We are pleased to introduce the 24 participating artists for Zion National Park’s 10th annual Plein Air Invitational” comments Mark Preiss, Director, Zion Forever Project.“They represent the best and brightest artists painting in this form today. Their talent and skills inspire us, and we are pleased to welcome them to Zion this November.”
The 24 acclaimed artists that have been invited to participate in this year’s event are as follows:
- Bill Cramer (Featured Artist), oil, Prescott, AZ
- Suzie Baker, oil, Shenandoah, TX
- Richard Boyer, oil, Salt Lake City, UT
- Arlene Braithwaite, pastel, Cedar City, UT
- Royden Card, acrylic, St. George, UT
- John D. Cogan, acrylic, Farmington, NM
- Michelle Condrat, oil, Salt Lake City, UT
- Cody DeLong, oil, Cottonwood, AZ
- Kimball Geisler, oil, Idaho Falls, ID
- http://www.brucegomez.com/, pastel, Denver, CO
- George Handrahan, oil, Layton, UT
- Mary Jabens, oil, Cedar City, UT
- Rick Kinateder, watercolor and gouache, Provo, UT
- Shanna Kunz, oil, Ogden, UT
- Roland Lee, watercolor, St. George, UT
- Bonnie McGee, oil, St. George, UT
- James McGrew, oil, Lake Oswego, OR
- Meredith Nemirov, watercolor, Ridgeway, CO
- Steve Stauffer, oil, Murray, UT
- Gregory Stocks, oil, Cottonwood, AZ
- Michele Usibelli, oil, /acrylic/gouache, Woodway, WA
- Lewis Williams, pastel and acrylic, Montrose, CO
- Jim Wodark, oil, Orange, CA
- Suze Woolf, watercolor, Seattle, WA
“The Plein Air event provides an opportunity for visitors to appreciate the beauty of Zion in new ways through the impressions of these talented artists,” comments Jeff Bradybaugh, Superintendent, Zion National Park. “Their work continues to enhance our perpetual stewardship of this wonderful sanctuary we recognize as Zion National Park.”
The Zion Forever Project is the park’s official nonprofit partner.